How to do SEO
There used to be a bunch of secrets surrounding organic Search Engine Optimisation, but the reality is that sites like Google just want to send you and I as much great traffic as they can free of charge, all they ask in return is that what we deliver is right for the visitors, that way it’s a “win-win” deal for us and them.
The first aspect is to consider what the objectives for the site are; these should be based on ALL the business needs, for example client support, PR and branding not just new business development.
Next is to look at competitors, what they do well and what they do not do well or at all, since we want to gain competitive advantage when creating your SEO plan.
Third comes the time to be critical about our own site and audit the following areas:
- Keywords used and that should be used based on what people want to know
- On page content, does it match the needs of a visitor and keep them on the site, this includes not just text and images, but also videos as well as downloadable files like PDFs and audio
- Inbound and outbound links and if they are right for business
- Site technicalities that help search engines trawl the website
- Social media and blog considerations and how the website is “seen” in these places, if at all
Lastly comes the actual plan that is scalable, this way it can be budgeted from a time and money perspective, I like a plan to have written goals and I always remind myself that SEO is a moving opportunity and a process, not an event, so suggest you do the same and has to be quality based as we all want people on our website who are there to learn and buy, not visiting by mistake or with little or no intent to do what we want them to do.
We always have people ask us what do we use on this site, so here are a few of the most relevant service providers:
- To manage our audience and email communication we use: Infusionsoft
- For most of our images, we use: Shutterstock
- Our web hosting and domain registration is done by: 123-reg and Realhosts.
- To automated and centralise our social media we use: HootSuite
- To help with SEO and lead generation we use: Webfire
- Video on this website is hosted on: Wistia
If you would like to find out more about any of the providers listed above, we review them honestly, provide details of alternatives (as they may be more suitable for you) and also other services we use in our resources section.