Mobile marketing is ready for YOU now!
I have been involved in mobile marketing and app development, strategy and monetization for over 7 years now (long before there was such a thing as an iPhone and not as a programmer – I am not a programmer, I just understand it because of years of experience of web and mobile programming) and every year you here “this will be the year”, but at long last it may be true, here are some stats form Google in June 2012 that will make you think:
- 52% of UK mobile phone users have a smartphone
- 28% of internet usage is via mobile phone and in the UK it grew 200% during 2011
- For mother’s day 50% of online sales were via mobile devices
- 28% of the UK have purchased something using their phone
- 49% of Paddy Power bets are via mobile devices
- 4 Ferraris are sold a month via a mobile phone and regular transactions of over $5,000
- 53% of the UK are “dual screening” while watching the TV
- Smartphone sales overtook PC sales in 2011 and are expected to reach 3 times that of PCs
- Tablet sales will also be bigger than PC sales within 3 years
- The number of searches on Google via smart phone doubles every two months
So moving on from the stats (I have literally hundreds of them now), as you can now see that mobile marketing and the platform is ready for you, it’s not the other way around so here are a four rules I work to:
- Educate, inform or entertain (ad value to the users)
- This should also be “real-time” if possible
- Take in to account user locations
- Deliver a better “story” than the print media
- Transact or interact (generate income and value in an instant if possible)
- Enable sharing / social network integration (increase the reach of your marketing)
- Report and learn (measure, react based on real research)
I also have two pieces of advice to share; that I hope will save you a lot of time, money and effort too:
- I have never met a technical or programming person who actually understands marketing, they may think they do, but I have yet to see this so don’t employ a programmer for anything other than programming. (Here’s a sales pitch: if you are able to do both please let me know as I have many great opportunities and jobs for you)
- Deliver based on your needs and the audience, not technology, virtually everybody I deal with is fixated with “shiny things” and these are virtually always irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.
I hope this helps and good luck, and remember just ask any questions you like and I will do my best to answer as many as possible, or post up general answers that help.
We always have people ask us what do we use on this site, so here are a few of the most relevant service providers:
- To manage our audience and email communication we use: Infusionsoft
- For most of our images, we use: Shutterstock
- Our web hosting and domain registration is done by: 123-reg and Realhosts.
- To automated and centralise our social media we use: HootSuite
- To help with SEO and lead generation we use: Webfire
- Video on this website is hosted on: Wistia
If you would like to find out more about any of the providers listed above, we review them honestly, provide details of alternatives (as they may be more suitable for you) and also other services we use in our resources section.