Simple Tips to Help Make Your Website Design
Simple Tips to help make your website design easy to use and look great too.
These are some things to bear in mind when creating a website, they make the design easier and also help the usability:
- Other than in pictures, you don’t need to use any more than 3 colours, this includes the colour of the text too.
- Keep fonts simple and web friendly and don’t use any more than three of them, otherwise it tends to get messy
- Use a white or simple background to help your images and messages “pop out of” the pages of your website
- Keep navigation obvious and clean
- If you need more space, don’t worry because people will scroll down a page, but make sure that at least the opening page looks quite good on multiple screens and devices (what is often referred to as “above the fold”).
- Do not put too much on a single page, let each page work on its own but be easy to look at and read – it’s a website not a book.
- If you have a logo, make sure it looks like a logo, not just a word or two and is prominently placed on the page
There are many ways to generate an understanding of what a people are doing on your website, like Google Analytics or something more sophisticated, but that requires website to start with. But what if you don’t have a website yet, or you know that your website is not right? Well a great way to do pre-build and even post build website research is with a survey, which can be done on the street, but nowadays even more effectively online.
Now it’s time to launch and promote the website.
As soon as the website is live, I start to learn what people are doing and not doing that way I can go to the final step, the step that never ends…
Refine, because no website should ever, in my opinion, be complete.
More great articles can be found here:
We always have people ask us what do we use on this site, so here are a few of the most relevant service providers:
- To manage our audience and email communication we use: Infusionsoft
- For most of our images, we use: Shutterstock
- Our web hosting and domain registration is done by: 123-reg and Realhosts.
- To automated and centralise our social media we use: HootSuite
- To help with SEO and lead generation we use: Webfire
- Video on this website is hosted on: Wistia
If you would like to find out more about any of the providers listed above, we review them honestly, provide details of alternatives (as they may be more suitable for you) and also other services we use in our resources section.